[haskell-platform] #180: GHCi tries to print infinite list (like [1..])

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Wed Jul 13 07:15:08 BST 2011

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 11:54:46PM +0100, Chris Dornan wrote:
> I think we are stuck with the current behaviour (which I find entirely
> natural). If we can anticipate infinite lists then can we not solve
> HP<http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/turing-machine/#5.2>
> ?

I believe many LISP REPLs allow the user to configure limits on
printing of lists, especially to avoid printing circular lists.

Just having a (user controllable) limit in GHCi on the number of items
of a list that is printed might be enough.

/M

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

Perl is another example of filling a tiny, short-term need, and then
being a real problem in the longer term.
     -- Alan Kay