Uninstallers?

Mark Lentczner mark.lentczner at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 17:57:33 BST 2011

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 8:55 AM, Mikhail Glushenkov <
the.dead.shall.rise at gmail.com> wrote:

> > 1) Uninstall precisely just the version installed, leaving other versions
>

> The Windows installer takes option#1. User-installed packages are not
> touched, though it might be nice to check for their presence and offer
> to remove them.

Does it then have to do the work of finding the most recent version, if any,
left on the machine, and reconnect up symlinks to run that version? For
example, one assumes that the user wants ghci on the command line to invoke
the most recent version installed on the machine. On Mac this is symlinked,
and in theory the uninstaller should "clean up" the symlink setup if it
removes the version to which it is symlinked. It is this task that is giving
me pause....

... In fact, so much pause (who wants to write all that logic in shell
script) that I'm thinking of writing a Haskell program to do this sort of
maintenance.  It could also switch the canonical tools to specific versions.
And ensure that version specific commands (ghci-7.0, ghci-6.12, etc...)
exist.