haskell platform steering committee...

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 11 15:41:45 EST 2010

On 11 November 2010 18:04, Thomas Schilling <nominolo at googlemail.com> wrote:

> The problem we had with text is that we had Ian and Ross and perhaps a
> few more on one side and Bryan and many others on the other side.  It
> only got resolved because Bryan backed down, but I have a feeling that
> if we had actually voted it would have gone the other way around.

Right. I think what would happen (if we're not careful) is that there
would be a lot of people who think "I want the package to go in" and
so vote for whatever status-quo gets the package in. The people
objecting in this case did not want to block the package, they wanted
the package to go in with some changes. To vote effectively in a case
like this it'd have to be really clear to all the voters that the
package was going in in either case and it was a question of a
detailed API choice (reflecting some underlying principles, not just
name bikeshedding). That's partly why I think an idea with some merit
is only voting on general principles not specific package details.

Duncan