haskell platform steering committee...

Adam Wick awick at galois.com
Wed Nov 10 14:14:23 EST 2010

On 11/08/2010 07:37 AM, Duncan Coutts wrote:
> On 8 November 2010 09:23, Isaac Dupree<ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org>  wrote:
>> Incidentally, who is actually active in the steering committee?
> Your list below is right
>
> http://trac.haskell.org/haskell-platform/wiki/Members#SteeringCommittee
> http://trac.haskell.org/haskell-platform/wiki/AddingPackages#History

> That was handy but not essential. Don pointed out how we'd not been
> doing our job and since Thomas and I were there at the time...

?

Perhaps I'm missing an email or three somewhere, but my recollection of
the original steering committee formation was that we never came to any
consensus on the mission, role, authority, or responsibility of the
steering committee. In fact, I thought the only thing we agreed on was
to stay as far out of the HP package nomination process as possible.
After which I heard nothing, and frankly I'd assumed that the whole
steering committee concept was abandoned.

Is this not the case?

> So as I mentioned in my recent reply to Bryan about the process, I
> think it would help if we, the committee members, took the active role
> in discussions that we originally intended. To do that I suggest that
> we assign a steering committee member to each new proposal when it is
> first proposed. It would be the responsibility of that committee
> member to do the various things set out in the proposal process
> document that we all wrote.

Really? I admit I've only been skimming the latest discussions, but it
seems that the only advantage of someone moderating the debate would be
(possibly) getting to gridlock earlier.

> We should also at some point consider the issue of using voting to
> resolve particularly tricky issues
That seems reasonable. Although: Who makes the "tricky issue"
declaration? Who votes?

- Adam