Haskell Platform decision: time to bless parsec 3?

Dmitry Astapov dastapov at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 11:53:36 EDT 2010

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 5:18 PM, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> This is a loose end in the package policy situation: when the HP has a
> major upgrade, the policy is to do all major upgrades for any packages
> contained in the HP, as long as they don't add new dependencies.
>
> One exception to this rule has been parsec, where parsec 2 was
> considered "blessed" on an ad hoc basis.
>
> I propose we agree to remove this ad hoc rule, and thus the HP will ship
> with parsec 3.
>
> Does anyone have concerns with this?

Some thoughts:

One one hand, parsec 3 is more versatile, on the other hand, parsec 2 is
often faster. I do quite a lot of parsing, and I invariably end up
installing both parsec 2 and parsec 3 in all haskell dev environments.

Right now, when HP ships with parsec 2, it is safe to say that as soon as
user starts to "cabal install" packages, Parsec 3 would be pulled in sooner
rather than later. However, if HP will ship with parsec 3, the same would
probably also be true for parsec 2.

--
Dmitry Astapov