QuickCheck 2 (Was: Next major platform release? Date planning.)

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 16:06:39 EST 2010

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 2:49 PM, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:

> The existing release timetable is here:
>
>  http://trac.haskell.org/haskell-platform/wiki/ReleaseTimetable
>
> But GHC 6.12 is out, and the time has come to prepare for the next
> release. In fact, some distros have already moved to 6.12, and the
> usual issues with parsec/QuickCheck are still there.
>
> Let's make this release one to really clean up the QuickCheck and parsec
> mess!!

QuickCheck 2 has some really nice features, like automatic test case
shrinking.

However, before QuickCheck 2 can get into the platform it needs better
documentation. Several of the modules have nothing but type signatures in
the Haddock documentation and there's a severe lacks of examples. I was
trying to figure out how to test monadic code, using QuickCheck 2, earlier
today but after checking out the documentation and googling around some I
decided I was better off procrastinating instead. ;)

Cheers,
Johan