universal binary version of Haskell Platform?

Benjamin L. Russell DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com
Wed Feb 3 23:46:43 EST 2010

On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 15:22:54 +0900, Benjamin L. Russell
<DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 16:38:15 -0500, Gregory Collins
><greg at gregorycollins.net> wrote:
>
>>[...]
>>
>>The tool that takes cabal libraries and builds OSX packages is called
>>cabal2macpkg (http://github.com/gregorycollins/cabal2macpkg) -- a while
>>back I had a version that generated Tiger-format installers, because the
>>Tiger-era installer packages are a lot simpler to understand and build.
>>(and Apple's command-line tools actually work!)
>>
>>I had to scrap that plan because the installer system wouldn't let me
>>bundle a Tiger-format package and a Leopard-format package (i.e. the
>>GHC binary installation package) together into the same package. The
>>code could be rescued & cleaned up from the version control history but
>>I don't have a Tiger machine (or a PPC) so someone else would have to
>>pick up that ball in order to build Haskell Platform binaries for Tiger
>>or for PPC machines, sorry.
>
>Well, since I'm right in the middle of replacing my faulty RAM and
>reinstalling my OS, it is possible for me to install Tiger instead of
>Leopard (at least until creating a PPC-compatible version of the
>Haskell Platform), and my machine is a G4 PPC machine.
>
>If the process is simple enough and doesn't take too much time, I'd be
>interested in helping out (once my new RAM arrives and I get enough of
>a break from work to find enough time).  What needs to be done in
>order to create a Tiger-format installer, and how does the process
>differ from creating a Leopard-format installer?  Is there any
>possibility that we could, perhaps, work together on this, and you
>could, for example, tell me the details of exactly what commands need
>to be executed (at least for those parts with which I am not familiar)
>so that I could report the results of the execution back to you
>(perhaps with screenshots, if necessary), thereby combining my PPC
>machine with your knowledge and experience?  That would seem the most
>efficient way of creating this project in the least amount of time,
>and then we could share credit for collaboration when posting the
>package on Hackage, perhaps?

My RAM arrived a while ago and I finished upgrading to Mac OS X 10.5.8
Leopard.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a PPC version of the latest
version of the Haskell Platform for my platform, and I don't know
enough about the details of the porting process to port the Haskell
Platform to my platform.

Ideally, I would like to find some way to install a binary version of
the Haskell Platform that would automatically install the software,
complete with a Haskell Platform logo alias, available from the Dock.
If that is not possible, I would like to help create such a version.

Is anybody available who could help out with this process in detailing
the steps to port a PPC Leopard version?  I have the machine; I just
need the details of exactly what to do.

Thanks,

-- Benjamin L. Russell
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/