HP comments from the State of Haskell survey

Chris Patti cpatti at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 09:14:10 EDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 11:00 PM, Gregory Collins
<greg at gregorycollins.net>wrote:

> Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> writes:
>
> > So the generic installer seems to be working? Leopard/Mac/intel.
>
> Betcha it's a 64-bit issue on Snow Leopard then.

> --
> Gregory Collins <greg at gregorycollins.net>

Precisely.  All the machines I tested on are running Snow Leopard.

Doing a little digging:
---

[09:10][admin at Chris-Patti:~]$ file /bin/ls
/bin/ls: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
/bin/ls (for architecture x86_64):      Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64
/bin/ls (for architecture i386):        Mach-O executable i386
[09:10][admin at Chris-Patti:~]$

[09:07][admin at Chris-Patti:~]$ file
/Library/Frameworks/GHC.framework/Versions/612/usr/lib/ghc-6.12.3/ghc
/Library/Frameworks/GHC.framework/Versions/612/usr/lib/ghc-6.12.3/ghc:
Mach-O executable i386

So, the installer is installing a 32 bit executable.

This at least makes sense now.  Unfortunately, I do not understand enough
about C code linking and 64 bit issues to fix the problem.

And, wow, you're maintaining the OSX sources/installer without having actual
native console access! That's impressive!

If I can get my home Mac set up to act as an ssh server, I'll gladly provide
you with an account.

Thanks,
-Chris

--