HP comments from the State of Haskell survey

Chris Patti cpatti at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 14:53:13 EDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 4:30 PM, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:

> The following comments about the Haskell Platform appeared in the
> State of Haskell survey.
>
>    http://www.johantibell.com/files/state-of-haskell-2010.html
>
>    * I also think Haskell platform isn't getting enough push. People still
>    think to try Haskell means install ghc. It doesn't help that both
>    haskell platform and ghc in various linux distro as well as MacPorts
>    gets lagged behind badly.

>    * The Macport's portfile is outdated for the haskell platform, and it is
>    still at 2009.2.0.2

>    * Also, the multi-platform issue is a big stopper for me. I'm developing
>    on Linux and Windows, maybe on Mac. Mac supports is simply broken,
>    Haskell platform does not install. On Windows, many packages relying on
>    C libraries simply do not work. On Linux, Ubuntu does not have official
>    up to date packages
>    programming life much simpler.

It's worse than that.  The current Haskell-Platform doesn't build at *all*
on current MacOS version.  This has percolated downstream to packaging
systems like Homebrew, and leaves people like me who would love to try their
hand at Haskell either giving up, or grudgingly downloading the binary
release (which thankfully works).

A bug has been filed on this, but it seems like noone has the time to fix
it: http://trac.haskell.org/haskell-platform/ticket/34

-Chris

--
Christopher Patti - Geek At Large | GTalk: cpatti at gmail.com | AIM: