regex-* versions for the next major Haskell Plaform release

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 13 19:12:22 EST 2009

Hi Christopher,

For the upcoming major release of the Haskell Platform (the 2009.4.0.x
series) we'd like to update to the latest versions of the regex-* libs.

Ideally we would like the platform to build without warnings on
GHC-6.10.4. Would you mind looking at the build warnings below.

If you do decide to make new releases, could you please keep the changes
to warnings and minor bug fixes. We don't want to push lots of untested
new code into a stable platform release. That said, if you've got new
stuff to release too, then a good strategy would be a bug fix release
and separately a new feature release. For this major release of the
platform we would pick up the bug fix release (and next time pick up
whatever version is stable at the time).

The current versions of the regex-* packages do build OK with GHC 6.12,
but if you decide to make a new release, could you double check that
they still build OK with GHC 6.12. While the 2009.4.0.x release series
will specify GHC 6.10.4, it will be useful for people testing the early
6.12 releases to be able to use the platform packages. It's not
necessary to make it warning-free with 6.12 at this stage, just building
is enough.

Thanks for your help with the upcoming platform release!

Duncan

regex-base-0.93.1
-----------------

Configuring regex-base-0.93.1...
Warning: No 'build-type' specified. If you do not need a custom Setup.hs
or
./configure script then use 'build-type: Simple'.

regex-posix-0.94.1
------------------

/usr/bin/hsc2hs [...] -o dist/build/Text/Regex/Posix/Wrap.hs
Text/Regex/Posix/Wrap.hsc
Wrap.hsc:103:1: warning: "_POSIX_C_SOURCE" redefined
In file included from /usr/include/stdint.h:26,
                 from /usr/lib64/ghc-6.10.4/include/HsFFI.h:31,

from /usr/lib64/ghc-6.10.4/hsc2hs-0.67/template-hsc.h:4,
                 from dist/build/Text/Regex/Posix/Wrap_hsc_make.c:1:
/usr/include/features.h:205:1: warning: this is the location of the
previous definition
Wrap.hsc: In function "main":
Wrap.hsc:505: warning: format "d" expects type "int", but argument 3 has
type "long unsigned int"
Wrap.hsc:506: warning: format "d" expects type "int", but argument 3 has
type "long unsigned int"

I notice that the current Setup.hs spits out this blurb. I think these
days it is not necessary to have this and that we should remove this
now.

        This links to the standard c library version of regular
        expressions.
        The corresponding c header file is regex.h and there is a chance
        you
        will need to edit the end of the regex-posix.cabal file to find
        the
        include directory and/or library.
        Alternatively you can try and use flags to the cabal executable
        specify the include and lib directories.

The advice is not really specific to the regex-* libraries and recent
Cabal versions check for C headers and libs and if they're not found
then Cabal spits out some advice about the --extra-include-dirs=
--extra-lib-dirs= flags.