Haskell Platform universe

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Tue May 5 02:55:10 EDT 2009

Hello Mikhail,

Tuesday, May 5, 2009, 7:55:41 AM, you wrote:

>> i just installed Windows Haskell Platform RC. it have created
>> "Start Menu\Haskell Platform\GHC 6.10.2" item, that forced me to think
>> deeper about HP universe

> Does it still use "Start Menu\Haskell Platform" ? I thought that
> I've fixed that. On my machine, it creates "Start
> Menu\GHC". Which version of Windows are you using?

i just reinstalled it:

HaskellPlatform-2009.2.0-rc1-setup.exe  54 150 059  02.05.09 05:49

and rechecked it's behavior. Vista x64 Ultimate SP1, i've used "just
extraction" installation - may it's source of problem?

>> yes, we decided that HP will include up-to-date GHC and some set of
>> libraries. but how different HP versions will coexist?
>>
>> one model is that every HP is separate universe, with its own GHC and
>> libs carried - this case menu item (and disk directory) should be
>> called something like "Start Menu\Haskell Platform\2009.0.0"

> The current plan is to allow different versions to coexist (I
> think we even have a ticket on this issue).

i think it will make platform less useful (but simplifies maintaining, OTOH)

btw, it will be great to have shortcuts for "switching to" any
installed platform. i.e. this shortcut should modify PATH/registry
settings like that is done due installation

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com