Windows Installer RC

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Sun May 3 13:55:10 EDT 2009

On Sun, May 03, 2009 at 12:53:52PM +0100, Claus Reinke wrote:
> >> Is this location configurable?
> >
> > Of course you can change the install location. You'll have to
> > edit packages.conf manually, though, if you'll later decide to
> > move the Haskell Platform directory somewhere else.
>
> ? .. checking .. argh!*&  - thanks for pointing out that misfeature:
>
> Pre Cabal, ghc installations were *relocatable* (no hardcoded absolute
> paths, everything relative to where ghc is).

I'm not sure what you mean. My 6.10.2 GHC still has everything relative
to $topdir (and $httptopdir) in package.conf.

> Now, ghc's package.conf is full of absolute path references for
> cabal-installed packages.

I don't think any libraries that didn't come with GHC were ever
relocatable, but I could well be wrong about that.

It would be nice if the HP installer installed everything relocatably,
though, I agree. And perhaps even global cabal-install installs, where
--prefix is not given, could install to the appropriate place and use
$topdir too.

Thanks
Ian