Windows Installer RC

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Sun May 3 08:20:23 EDT 2009

>> http://github.com/23Skidoo/haskell-platform-windows/
>>
>> (the main source file is Nsisfile.nsi)
>
> Thanks, that is almost readable. So you're actually removing
> the $PLATFORMDIR explicitly from package.conf, and the
> filetype associations seem to follow the current ghc installer's
> ideas? Neil, are you listening?-)
>
> If I read this correctly, it still doesn't follow the conventions we have
> tried to agree on for years, and will not cooperate with, eg, WinHugs,
> or previous settings. See separate answer to Duncan's question in this
> thread for details and examples that illustrate what I mean by installer
> ping pong.

I also noticed that you're using HKCR, where I'd have expected
HKLM or HKCU (cf. http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/2489 ),
or the SHCTX listed in NSIS docs "4.9.2.17 WriteRegExpandStr"
and "4.9.7.7 SetShellVarContext". As I mentioned, I'm just a user
(and the unconditional HKLM my illustration scripts used is not to
be taken as an example, see the discussion at #2489), so I don't
know which one is correct/standard, but I thought I'd mention it,
in case it happens to be wrong;-)

Claus

PS. my reading of http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms724475.aspx
    is confused, but suggests that a choice of HKLM or HKCU is
    preferred for setting, while HKCR is for merged querying?