Windows Installer RC

Sven Panne Sven.Panne at aedion.de
Sun May 3 06:16:20 EDT 2009

Am Sonntag, 3. Mai 2009 02:29:03 schrieb Duncan Coutts:
> [...]
> > If it is a question of location, put it in a non-active directory, to be
> > moved (as I've been doing on my system) where Cabal installs its
> > executables. That would avoid installing any files outside the HP
> > root directory while still providing a complete package.
>
> That doesn't help it to "just work" and it doesn't help people making
> random .exe files in random directories. [...]

But at least it would make things for the user as easy as

   copy <SomeWellDocumentedPlaceInTheHP>\glut32.dll .

or

   copy <SomeWellDocumentedPlaceInTheHP>\glut32.dll %WINDOWS%\system32

> In practise for the specific case of the glut32.dll, it seems like not a
> great problem because most users have it already (from their graphics
> driver). [...]

I don't know where this myth comes from, but the GLUT DLL is *not* included in
graphics card drivers, at least not in NVIDIA's. I don't know the situation
for ATI cards, but it doesn't really matter, because when the market leader
doesn't do it, it is a moot point discussing this further.

Cheers,
   S.