Call for consensus: Question of HP updates that depend on new packages

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Fri Aug 21 14:56:01 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-08-17 at 14:10 +0100, Duncan Coutts wrote:

> In particular the libraries list should decide if these new packages
> should be rubber stamped because they are new dependencies of a package
> already in the platform, or if the new packages should go through the
> standard review process for adding packages.

Given the responses it seems that we think that new packages should go
through the standard review process for adding packages. In particular
"where the functionality exposed is not logically part of the original
package" since there is an exception for straightforward package splits.

I suggest the dividing line between package splits and genuinely new
dependencies be left to the judgement of the release team. So
maintainers who would like advice can talk to the release team.

Are there any unresolved concerns?

If not then we'll go with this as the policy.

Duncan