styling

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 05:56:11 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21/07/2010 23:50, Mark Lentczner wrote:
> > Tibbe and I did some cleanups on the nhaddock theme this afternoon.
> >
> > The results are up on my web site:
> >
> >       http://www.ozonehouse.com/mark/snap-xhtml/
> >       http://www.ozonehouse.com/mark/snap-xhtml/frames.html
> >
> > All the auxiliary pages are now styled. We made a few "radical" choices:
> >
> >       Table of Contents is now floated on the right
> >       "Description" header is gone
> >       "Synopsis" is gone
> >
> > There are some known flaws to work on: When there is an "info" block
> ("portability", "stability", etc...) then it will crash into the TOC. Also
> the package bar does ugly things when the window is narrow and the package
> name long.
> >
> >       - Mark
>
> Some suggestions:
>
>  - put space between the +/- button and the module name in the contents
>
>  - increase the font size in the module contents (I like the floated
>    contents BTW, I was going to suggest that)
>
>  - maybe remove the external margins on the code blocks (so the grey
>    background isn't indented a bit relative to the text)

I've also thought about this. I think it's a good idea to get rid of the
external margin, it makes the left edge look less ragged.

>  - the section headings don't stand out *quite* enough.  Maybe a bit
>    more vertical space before a section heading, or a feint
>    horizontal line, or darken the background on the heading?

I suggested making the content (including the type signatures) indented to
get some more grouping going. Right now the paragraphs under the description
don't align with the type signatures which feels weird to me. We could of
course also add a line/box around the headings (my original style had that).

Details aside I like the "grid" used in
http://docs.python.org/library/string.html

>  - (I suggested this on IRC) make it possible to click on "Instances"
>    to show/hide the instances, so we don't have to aim at the samll
>    button.

Sounds good.

> Should we think about accessibility issues?  Keyboard-only navigation?

I think a more semantic markup moves us closer to offer these kind of
improvements. There's a certain paralysis that can occur if you have focus
on these kind of issues early (same with i18n and l10n issues) so I suggest
we polish the look-n-feel until we're happy and then go back and see if we
can improve the markup semantically while maintaining the look-n-feel.

Johan