[haddock] #94: Give a warning message instead of an error when encountering unexpected Haddock comments

haddock haddock at projects.haskell.org
Sun Mar 1 07:14:58 EST 2009

#94: Give a warning message instead of an error when encountering unexpected
Haddock comments
------------------------+---------------------------------------------------
Reporter:  waern        |        Owner:
    Type:  enhancement  |       Status:  new
Old description:

> See this failure when processing XMonad:
> {{{
> XMonad/Layout.hs:55:19: parse error on input `!' haddock: Failed to check
> module: XMonad.Layout
>
> The relevant lines:
>
> data Tall a = Tall !Int -- ^ The default number of windows in the master
> pane (default: 1) !Rational -- ^ Default proportion of screen occupied by
> master pane (default: 1/2) !Rational; -- ^ Percent of screen to increment
> by when resizing panes (default: 3/100)
> }}}
>
> Since we don't support Haddock comments on individual arguments of
> constructors, this just fails with a parse error. Perhaps we should just
> give a warning in case like this, where a Haddock comment is encountered
> at an unexpected place.
>
> I think this is hard to implement, given the way things currently work.
> Haddock comments are just ordinary tokens that are fed to the parser, and
> we clearly don't want put them all over the grammar. If we should move to
> a design where Haddock comments are not in the grammar, but are collected
> elsewhere, implement this ticket would be a lot easier.

New description:

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.haskell.org/haddock/ticket/94#comment:1>
haddock <http://www.haskell.org/haddock>