[grapefruit] growing heap usage

Wolfgang Jeltsch g9ks157k at acme.softbase.org
Mon Aug 3 07:38:11 EDT 2009

Am Montag, 3. August 2009 08:41 schrieb Neal Alexander:
> Hey,
>
> I still need to figure out which branches Simon Marlow committed the GC
> changes to and retest things. Its gonna be like 6 weeks until i have
> time to play with it again though.

Hello Neal,

I also won’t have time to look into this during the next few weeks. Until
August 23, I’ll be busy with writing a paper for IFL (about Grapefruit’s
record system, basically) and making holidays. Afterwards, I have to get a
current Kubuntu installed on my work laptop, since my private laptop seems to
have a hardware defect, and the current GTK+ on my work laptop seems to be
too old to be used for Grapefruit. So at the moment, I’m unable to experiment
with Grapefruit. :-(

> Anyway, I'm not sure what the recommended way of splitting profile data
> into smaller bands is. I usually just split a function up into several
> top level functions so each section gets an entry in the profilers
> output. IIRC you can do this for library code too, by making a wrapper
> function for it.

Hmm, maybe I’ll look into this at the beginning of September or so.

> Btw i noticed some situations where signals can get lost (due to
> starvation and time-out with concurrency primitives maybe?).

Complete signals get lost? Or do you mean that events (occurences from
discrete signals) get lost?

> I need to look into it more since i forgot the details, but the basic setup
> was:
> 1 render thread generating discrete frame events nonstop
> 2 human inputs generating discrete signals asynchronously

Do you synchronize the calls to the different event handlers? If not, this
could be the problem.

Currently, the intention is that all event handlers are called by some
event-processing loop like, for example, the main loop of GTK+. This way, all
event handler calls get synchronized. At the last Hackathon, we discussed how
events caused by different threads could be handled. We had some sensible
idea but, alas, we didn’t implement anything so far.

Best wishes,
Wolfgang