[Chart] the grammar of graphics

Carter Schonwald carter.schonwald at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 23:12:13 GMT 2014

woops, got a bit side tracked

the GOG book is very very old school OOP,
the modern ggplot2 lib is slightly different, hadley has a bajillion
examples online + a fairly affordable tiny book walking you through how to
use it.

that said, a lot of ggplot2 comes down to have a monoidal configuration
with good defaults and a monadic interface for the monoidal config, plus
some good default for stacking plots and layering them too!

Theres also that ggplot2 uses R data frames + math modelling tools quite
heavily to the point where it hard to talk about them in isolation. Theres
a reason why I'm working on numerical haskell! :)  (actually, i'm serious,
thats what got me started originally)

a friend of  mine started a prototype of "ggplot2 style thing done right in
haskell, with diagrams for rendering + lens for the query / data
manipulation language" here https://github.com/cscheid/plots Its not really
meant for real use. But you might be able to get some basic ideas from there