bug: icon endless read

Jose A. Ortega Ruiz jao at gnu.org
Thu Jun 6 16:45:01 BST 2013

On Thu, Jun 06 2013, Artur Zimmer wrote:

>> > not so good idea
>>
>> care to explain why do you think so? on the user side, it'd be a
>> solution needing less changes to their setup, and usable out of the box
>> in any window manager.  what are the downsides you see?
>

> for the window-manager it must be possible to change the
> color/icon/action in xmobar ...  but text that came from other "apps"
> like window-title must be escaped by the window-manager, he is the
> only one who knows the active window
>
> The only pipe i know, between window-manager and xmobar, is the Stdin.

(There's also XPropertyLog, by which xmobar reads an arbitrary X
property, and PipeReader, which reads from a given pipe.)

> So how do you wanne split CurrentWindowTitle and
> WindowManagerInformations(like active window-page) via Stdin?

By reading the _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW X atom (which is set by the window
manager), one can obtain the id of the currently active window.  From
there, one can get its title.

Unfortunately, i just checked xmonad and, unlike sawfish or openbox, it
doesn't seem to set it. We would need to provide a code snippet that
sets that property explicitly.

jao