A couple questions

Jose A. Ortega Ruiz jao at gnu.org
Wed Jul 17 17:05:04 BST 2013

On Wed, Jul 17 2013, Sacha Sokoloski wrote:

> Fair enough. It would still indeed be nice to have the option to set
> default text in the case of no connection.

That should be doable, yes... we can open an issue for that, so that i
don't forget :)

Another thing that i've thought about is having an alternating monitor,
whose switch is controlled perhaps by a signal, so one can choose from
the outside which one of two (or more) monitor text is displayed.
That's a bit of work, so i'd like to hear more people asking for the
feature first, i think.

> As far as my other questions are concerned, it would also still be
> nice to control the width of the wattage display, and as well to have

Yes, i agree this should already be there, and it's actually a bug it's
not possible.

> a fall back font or at least the option of using html flags or
> something to set different fonts for certain characters. The first I
> might just endeavour to patch myself, but the second I believe would
> be beyond me. I did notice that this feature was requested another
> time in the mailing list, so perhaps that's moving along anyway?

There's some old patches that let you specify alternate fontsets, as one
does, for instance, in urxvt... but they dependended on modifications to
the XFT haskell library, which is not under my control.  I was thinking
of incorporating them on xmobar's side: it's work in progress.

That's however not exactly what you're asking for, i think.

> As far as the xmonad embedding is concerned, it's less about embedding
> into xmonad and more about typechecking the config file, wherever it
> lives. I've found that debugging my config file can be a pain
> sometimes it a way that seems unecessary. Nevertheless, it's not a
> huge deal, just perhaps a simple 'nice to have' which isn't worth the
> effort.

There's an open bug for doing something like that, and someone said he
would give it a try... maybe you could comment there:

https://github.com/jaor/xmobar/issues/108

Again, it's not exactly what you asked for--embedding in xmonad--but it
think it's the right way of providing what you're asked... but
implementing it will/would be a pretty major effort (although a good one
in my book).

Cheers,
jao
--
There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should not
be done at all. -Peter Drucker (1909-2005)