[ANN] xmobar 0.16 released

Jose A. Ortega Ruiz jao at gnu.org
Mon Dec 3 00:16:55 GMT 2012

I've just released xmobar 0.16, the lightweight text-based system
monitor written in Haskell.  See http://projects.haskell.org/xmobar, and
full release notes below.

As always, thanks a bunch to the many contributors, who keep helping me
improving xmobar and making it more and more useful.  The continuous
flow of patches and suggestions is one the nicest things about hacking
on and maitaining xmobar.

This is a somewhat risky release, because some users are reporting
problems with GHC 7.6.1 and xmonad (see links below), but there are so
many new features and fixes, and happy users of the unstable version,
that i thought a release was in order.  Please, do not hesitate to
complain about problems you might encounter: i'll do my best to fix them
in subsequent releases.

Thanks!

## Version 0.16 (Dec 3, 2012)

_New features_

  - New monitor `AutoMPD`, which uses asynchronous events to display
    MPD status (thanks to Ben Boeckel).
  - New monitor `BufferedPipeReader` displaying data from multiple
    pipes (thanks to Jochen Keil).
  - New monitor `DynNetwork`, which detects the active interface
    automatically, by Reto Hablützel
  - New monitor, `Locks`, displaying the status of lock keys, by
    Patrick Chilton.
  - Extension for DBUS signal handling (Jochen Keil)
  - Hide/Reveal: one can send signals to xmobar and make it (un)hide
    itself (Jochen again).
  - `PipeReader`'s default text is now configurable, by Reto Hablützel.
  - Dependencies updated to latest mtl and libmpd (thanks to Sergei
    Trofimovich).
  - Dependencies on the deprecated dbus-core removed in favour of
    dbus 0.10 (thanks to Jochen Keil).
  - MPris2 now includes genre and composer among its fields.

_Bug fixes_

  - `DiskIO` now can report overall activity in all partitions of a device
    which is not mounted itself (e.g., sda when sda1, sda3, etc. are
    the mounted partitions).  Thanks to John Soros. See [github #73].
  - `DiskU`, the disk usage monitor, works again correctly on Linux,
    instead of randomly crashing every now and then, and reporting
    wrong used size.
  - When using antialiased fonts, we were causing a memory leak in the
    X server by repeatedly allocating colors that, apparently, the
    server doesn't know how to get rid of (even when told so!).  We're
    caching them now and X server memory doesn't grow.
  - Compilation errors and warnings with GHC 7.6 removed (thanks to
    Raghavendra D Prabhu for his reports in [github #71]).

_Known problems_

Some users have reported problems with xmobar compiled with GHC 7.6 in
ArchLinux: see [github #78] and pointers therein.  Please, send
reports of any problems or successes in that regard so that we can fix
any remaining issues.  Thanks!

[github #71]: https://github.com/jaor/xmobar/issues/71
[github #73]: https://github.com/jaor/xmobar/issues/73
[github #78]: https://github.com/jaor/xmobar/issues/78