New xmobar maintainer: request for comments

Jose A. Ortega Ruiz jao at gnu.org
Sun Dec 5 16:03:26 EST 2010

Hi,

I've recently accepted Andrea Rossato's kind offer to take over
maintainership of xmobar, and i wanted to ask for feedback to the
community. My apologies for cross-posting to the cafe and xmonad, but
xmobar didn't have a mailing list until a couple days ago.

My immediate plans are to fix some low-hanging bugs, incorporate a
handful of patches and contributions i have in my repo and make a new
release (0.12). Besides that, i've created a mailing list
(xmobar at projects.haskell.org,
mirrored at gmane.comp.lang.haskell.xmobar) and i will move xmobar's
homepage to http://projects.haskell.org/xmobar (not done yet).

Perhaps more disruptingly, i'm thinking of moving source code management
from darcs to git (right now, i maintain a _mirror_ at github,
http://github.com/jaor/xmobar). But xmobar has a very lively user base
and many contributors, and i wouldn't like to alienate or disturb
anyone: would that move be frown upon by the community?

I also plan to keep hacking and adding (not many) features to xmobar in
the future, and would be delighted to hear from you: please, do not
hesitate to send your feature requests or any other comment directly to
me or to the new list.

Thanks in advance for your feedback, and special thanks to Andrea for
creating xmobar and giving me this great chance of being more than a
mere spectator of the haskell world.

Cheers,
jao
--
Fools ignore complexity. Pragmatists suffer it. Some can avoid it.
Geniuses remove it.