NLP: the missing framework

Paul Callaghan paulcc.two at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 22:33:36 GMT 2013

Edward's post prompted me to dig out my 15 year old PhD thesis and
post it online. It covered the participation of a certain
Haskell-based NLP system in the Message Understanding Conference
events in the late 1990s. See
http://www.free-variable.org/2013/01/my-phd-thesis-is-15-years-old/.

As well as historical interest(!), there's also some discussion of
whether the idea of NLP frameworks is sensible or not, balanced
against what is involved in certain kinds of NL application.

Responding to the original post: it would be great to see more
browser-side NL tools, and maybe tools like Fay will give us a way to
have our cake & eat it.

Paul