parsing

Daniël de Kok me at danieldk.eu
Fri Jul 13 09:42:44 BST 2012

On Jul 12, 2012, at 7:28 AM, Sam Boosalis <samboosalis at gmail.com> wrote:
> hey all, i'm designing a note taking program i'd like to write in haskell; that must be smart enough to parse short sentences, and fast enough to do it in realtime.
>
> what are the best (fastest / most accurate) english parsers in haskell?

I don't think there are currently parsers with high coverage/accuracy written in Haskell. The Grammatical Framework [1] seems to be a very active project, but I don't know how complete their lexicon/grammar/unknown word handling is.

Given the lack of Haskell-based parsers you may want to look at other parsing systems. For your use case, large, standalone parsers such as the Stanford Parser are probably not useful. There's the link grammar/parser [2, 3] for English, which is easily embeddable. Since it is written in C, it is probably easy to use it via the Haskell FFI.

[1] http://www.grammaticalframework.org/
[2] http://www.link.cs.cmu.edu/link/
[3] http://www.abisource.com/projects/link-grammar/