ANNOUNCE: brillig 0.3 - not quite the Brill tagger

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 21:37:59 BST 2011

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 11:37 AM, wren ng thornton <wren at freegeek.org> wrote:
> On 9/7/11 12:40 PM, Rogan Creswick wrote:
>>
>> Is anyone else interested in supporting the Apache UIMA CAS format(s)?
>> I'm not a *huge* fan of the gritty system design details in UIMA (it
>> seems absurdly difficult to actually use an analysis engine / pear in
>> an application) but at least the file format for annotations is
>> somewhat standardized.
>
> Do you have a reference to the specifications? If it's sufficiently
> standardized I could put something together.

"UIMA" is an OASIS standard, so there's plenty to read ;)

Here's a link to the start of the "Full UIMA Specification" -- the
details about the CAS representations are probably the most pertinent
for this discussion.

http://docs.oasis-open.org/uima/v1.0/os/uima-spec-os.html#_Toc205201046

I believe there are currently two standard (textual) CAS
representations: XCAS and XMI CAS - the former is relatively simple,
but appears to be getting phased out in favor of the the XMI-based
format.

--Rogan