CLT Toolkit

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Sat Nov 27 01:21:27 EST 2010

On 11/25/10 7:49 AM, Grzegorz Chrupała wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 20:00, Daniël de Kok<me at danieldk.eu>  wrote:
>> Hi Aarne,
>> On Nov 24, 2010, at 7:41 PM, Aarne Ranta wrote:
>>
>> To keep the picture complete, I would like to submit some pointers to the
>> work we at Chalmers and Gothenburg University have been doing around Haskell
>> and NLP during the last decade or so. It is now being conveniently packaged
>> in the "CLT Toolkit",
>>    http://www.clt.gu.se/clt-toolkit
>> featuring e.g. GF (grammaticalframework.org, also on hackage) and FM
>> (Functional Morphology) with the largest open source Swedish lexicon.
>
> The book is definitely a nice development. Congratulations and good luck.
>
> And since we're pitching out stuff: I have a couple of statistical NLP
> projects on hackage too:
> - Morfette: a tool for supervised learning of inflectional morphology.
> http://sites.google.com/site/morfetteweb/
> - Sequor: a sequence labeler based on Collins's (2002) perceptron.
> Sequor has a flexible feature template language and is meant mainly
> for NLP applications such as Part of Speech tagging, syntactic
> chunking or Named Entity labeling.  http://code.google.com/p/sequor/

My current project is working with HMMs for POS tagging and for CCG
supertagging, focused on doing research on online and interactive
algorithms. I started the project because the CCG supertaggers available
(C&C Tools; OpenCCG) are too integrated in their own projects to
facilitate doing my kind of research, and also because the current
standard for HMM tagging (TnT) is closed source. So the goal (as a
Haskell library) is to make it as openly reusable as possible.

I've been meaning to polish things up enough to make it public, but I've
been too busy with the research side of things to polish off the
embarrassingly rough spots. We're hoping to get a paper out about it
this winter/spring, and I should have the time to make an actual release
over the winter break. Whenever that happens I'll send an update to the
list.

--
Live well,
~wren