hooray for Haskell NLP activity!

Eric Kow eric.kow at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 04:04:29 EST 2010

Woo! It's nice to see this list picking up.

1. It's great to see all the tools that people are releasing on hackage.
   We now have 23 packages listed on
    <http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/pkg-list.html#cat:natural language processing>

   What I would love to see now is somebody saying something along the
   lines of "I built Cool Tool X by combining Y package with Z package"
   [where Y and Z are built by different teams with different agendas]

2. The Haskell NLP project could use a maintainer. Anybody interested?
   Your job is to figure out the Haskell NLP mission is and how to go
   about fulfilling it.

   Right now it has a basic mission of building a Haskell NLP community
   (ie. everybody doing NLP in Haskell should know [a] that other people
   are working on NLP in Haskell and [b] who they are and what they're
   doing or [b2] where to find them).

   Surely you can come up with something closer to world domination?

3. Some more Haskell NLP tools:

* chartparser (still in progress): general purpose library for building
  chart parsers.  Comes with interactive debugger so you can poke at the
  chart.

     darcs get http://code.haskell.org/nlp/chartparser/

  I never got a chance to work on this anymore, but maybe in the future.

  I thought it could be handy for building things like teaching libraries
  ("this is how a chart parser works") or little toy parser prototypes.

* GenI (hackage, there's a user list you can subscribe and send patches
  to.  I may have a bit more availability to work on this lately)

  This is a piece of a natural language generator called a surface
  realiser. It takes as input a graph of words and a grammar and spits
  out a list of sentences using the right syntax.

  Example input:
    (A) some toy English grammar
    (B) this graph

             somewhat

             intense

     john --> love --> mary

  Example output:
    John loves Mary somewhat intensely
    Mary is loved somewhat intensely by John

* fullstop: a laughably stupid sentence segmenter (on hackage)
  It has some test cases and works if you just want something
  cheap and cheerful... but really I'm hoping somebody would
  take over and turn it into something more clever.

    NLP.FullStop.segment :: String -> [String]