how should we use the Haskell NLP community?

Eric Y. Kow eric.kow at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 12:31:01 EDT 2009

Dear Haskell NLPers,

First, welcome to the new subscribers!  Now that we have a bit of mass
in the list, maybe we should get a discussion started, first on what
we're trying to accomplish and second, on the kinds of things we can be
doing as community.

One thing I've noticed is that there actually is a fair bit of work
going on in the NLP world that's using Haskell, but it all feels a
little disconnected, as if each of us were the only ones doing this.
One of the first objectives I had was to build awareness among
Haskell-NLPers of the other Haskell NLPers.

So there's 15 of us; now what?  What are our goals exactly?

Personally, I happen to like Haskell as a programming language and want
to be able to use more of it in my NLP work.  My hope is that we can
make this more likely by building a thriving community: building
libraries and bindings, supporting each other and NLP folks who are new
to Haskell, just making Haskell more useful for us in general.  At some
point, we could even think about how we relate to the wider NLP
community.  It would be great if we had a clear picture of when exactly
we can start enthusiastically recommending Haskell as an NLP language
:-)

What would you like to get out of this community?
And how do you think we can go about it?

Or maybe another way of looking at the question: what's the one thing
you could change that would let you use more use more Haskell for NLP?

Thanks!

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9