[HTTP] HTTP package on hackage

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Mon Mar 4 19:05:10 GMT 2013

Hi Jan,

On 04/03/2013 16:31, Jan Stolarek wrote:

> would it be possible to remove upper bound on base dependency in HTTP paclage? Right now base is
> required to be < 4.6. This makes bootstraping cabal-install impossible with GHC HEAD, which has
> base = 4.7

At the moment I prefer to follow the PVP
(http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Package_versioning_policy) on this -
although some of the other dependencies aren't yet properly bounded,
that's something that I'll change when time permits.

A few other people have asked for this (see
https://github.com/haskell/HTTP/issues/36) so I appreciate it's a pain,
but I also don't want to be rushed into putting out new versions when an
API changes.

If the proposal to "double-bump" package versions during the GHC
development cycle happens
(http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2013-February/019409.html),
that'll make things much better - then I could bump the upper bound to
allow 4.7, which would allow development versions of base to be used at
the risk of being broken, but still guarantee that stable releases
wouldn't go wrong.

Cheers,

Ganesh