[HaTeX] summation big sigma

Daniel Díaz Casanueva dhelta.diaz at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 12:28:00 BST 2013

Hello Kees.

To write a sigma summation you need to use a special LaTeX symbol called
"sum". The sigmau function creates a sigma letter that will be treated as
exactly that, a letter. Unfortunately, the sum symbol is not in HaTeX yet,
but you can use the function "raw" no insert your own LaTeX code.

raw "\\sum" !: "j=1" ^: "n"

Note that LaTeX will render it differently depending if the sum is in an
inline math expression or in a math environment. In the first case, you
will still see the limits of the sum at the right of the sigma. To have the
limits above and below the sigma in an inline math expression, you need to
include the "limits" command, like this:

raw "\\sum \\limits" !: "j=1" ^: "n"

But note that there is a reason because LaTeX does not put the text above
and below the sigma in inline expressions. It does so to preserve the
vertical space of the line, maintaining the document's look consistency.

I think this is the best solution in the current release of HaTeX
(3.6.0.1), although I am certainly going to work to improve the situation
and make HaTeX do this work for you in a next release.

Good luck,
Daniel Díaz.