PROPOSAL: Disable encrypt addresses for gmane.comp.lang.haskell.emacs

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvr at gnu.org
Thu Mar 15 11:16:27 GMT 2012

Keshav Kini <keshav.kini at gmail.com>
writes:

> Herbert Valerio Riedel <hvr at gnu.org> writes:

>> PS: btw... how comes that the NNTP-gatewayed
>> gmane.comp.lang.haskell.emacs mangles email addresses in this list (and
>> other lists such as haskell-cafe don't have this mangling?)
>
> When applying to Gmane to add a new list, there are some options you can
> set - one of them is email address mangling ("Encrypt addresses").

> Whoever added the haskell emacs list happened to turn on this feature
> and whoever added haskell-cafe did not. See
>
> http://gmane.org/subscribe.php .

I see...

Well then, I'd like to propose to disable address-encryption (if this is
possible at all) for gmane.comp.lang.haskell.emacs, because

 a) it's inconvenient for users reading mailing lists via gmane's NNTP,
    and

 b) it's not effective IMO as long as the Mailman archive at
    http://projects.haskell.org/pipermail/haskellmode-emacs/ exposes the
    unencrypted email addresses which are easily picked up by
    email-crawlers anyway.

Discussion period: 3 weeks starting now