[Haskell-cafe] ANN: Haskell-mode 2.8.0

Deniz Dogan deniz.a.m.dogan at gmail.com
Sat Jul 3 07:53:48 EDT 2010

2010/7/3 Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com>:
> Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> 2010/7/3 Brandon S Allbery KF8NH <allbery at ece.cmu.edu>:
>>>
>>> On 7/3/10 04:28 , Deniz Dogan wrote:
>>>

>>> If they don't have the Haskell Platform installed, they have very little
>>> reason to be working with Haskell source.  And I *still* don't want to have
>>> to wait on Emacs updates to work with Haskell.
>>>

>> You don't *have* to wait on Emacs updates to work with Haskell just
>> because a small haskell-mode is included in Emacs. It is very easy to
>> replace (or rather hide) any mode that is shipped with Emacs to use
>> another one instead.
>
> Is it really that easy?  When I've queried before how to override a
> package that comes with Emacs (gnus in this case) and use a different
> version, I was told I was better off just sticking with the one that
> comes with Emacs.

It is easy if it's made to be easy. Gnus is just huge, so I'm not sure
how difficult that would be to replace.

Considering how haskell-mode already supports different indentation
functionality, I'm guessing it should be relatively easy to write a
new .el which sets itself to be the indentation "module" in
haskell-mode. It all really bottoms down to how it is implemented.

> And I agree with Brandon; if you're wanting to write Haskell, you would
> need more than just Emacs (though I don't think this is something that
> should be in the platform).

All this being said, I'm just afraid that new Haskellers will go use
Vim or some other editor if haskell-mode isn't shipped with Emacs.
Emacs is a great editor, Haskell is a great programming language and
therefore I think that (a) haskell-mode in Emacs would be ideal. It
needn't be this haskell-mode, just as long as there is some syntax
highlighting and decent indentation.

--
Deniz Dogan