[Haskell-cafe] ANN: Haskell-mode 2.8.0

Deniz Dogan deniz.a.m.dogan at gmail.com
Sat Jul 3 04:28:53 EDT 2010

2010/7/3 Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com>:
> Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Doing so would only mean that haskell-mode will most likely never be a
>> part of Emacs, meaning that anyone looking for programming Haskell in
>> Emacs would have to download an external library, be it through
>> package.el or not.
>
> And what's so bad about that?

If haskell-mode is part of Emacs, a newbie just has to create a file
with a .hs extension and he/she is good to go. No need for any Haskell
Platform or cabal-install, etc. It is simply convenient.

> I suppose it might be possible to have a cut-down haskell-mode in Emacs
> for casual hacking, the way there's python-mode and pymacs.

That's what I'm saying too.

>> To put it short, there are no pros in making the new Haskell indenter
>> a strict part of haskell-mode.
>
> There are if it brings in a lot of cool features.

These cool features might as well be part of an optional extension to
haskell-mode.

--
Deniz Dogan