[Haskell-cafe] ANN: Haskell-mode 2.8.0

Svein Ove Aas svein.ove at aas.no
Fri Jul 2 19:14:39 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 1:07 AM, Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Since there is no reason what so ever to integrate this external
> Haskell indenter tightly into haskell-mode, I don't see any reason to
> do so. Doing so would only mean that haskell-mode will most likely
> never be a part of Emacs, meaning that anyone looking for programming
> Haskell in Emacs would have to download an external library, be it
> through package.el or not.
>
> To put it short, there are no pros in making the new Haskell indenter
> a strict part of haskell-mode.

Sure there is. I expect there to be quite a lot of shared code.

It's not solely an indenter; the same interface and capabilities will
be used for a debugger, refactoring, and type signature info.
Haskell-mode should still work without it, to about the same degree as
today, but actually doing so would be a *major* degradation compared
to the state of the art once I'm done with it.

In any case, I expect the actual installation to be via cabal-install.

--
Svein Ove Aas