[Haskell-cafe] ANN: Haskell-mode 2.8.0

Deniz Dogan deniz.a.m.dogan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 19:07:37 EDT 2010

2010/7/3 Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com>:
> Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Why should it not become part of Emacs?
>>
>> I would like it if this Haskell indenter was external to haskell-mode
>> itself instead of making haskell-mode external to Emacs.
>
> Why should it?
>
> Look at all the effort that the Haskell community went through to
> _unbundle_ libraries from GHC, and now Emacs is bundling more and more
> with it, which means it's harder to use a newer version of a package
> than the bundled one.

Since there is no reason what so ever to integrate this external
Haskell indenter tightly into haskell-mode, I don't see any reason to
do so. Doing so would only mean that haskell-mode will most likely
never be a part of Emacs, meaning that anyone looking for programming
Haskell in Emacs would have to download an external library, be it
through package.el or not.

To put it short, there are no pros in making the new Haskell indenter
a strict part of haskell-mode.

--
Deniz Dogan