Mac HP directory naming

Mark Lentczner mark.lentczner at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 07:44:41 BST 2014

*last nit in the HP installer for mac... then I'm ready for 2014.2.0.0
alpha!*

I'm looking for opinions on the following issue with the Mac installer:

For the last few HP releases, the platform has consisted of two parts, GHC,
and the platform libraries. For example, for HP 2013.2.0.0 64-bit version,
these were:

/Library/Frameworks/GHC.framework/Versions/*7.6.3-x86_64*/
/Library/Haskell/*ghc-7.6.3*

Notice that the directory for the platform libraries is named for the GHC
version, and that the architecture is notable absent. This has two
downsides:

1) You can't install more than one HP version that uses the same compiler.
2) You can't install both 32bit and 64bit variants of the same HP.

I'm considering changing this in this release. The naming would now be:

/Library/Frameworks/GHC.framework/Versions/*7.8.3-x86_64*/
/Library/Haskell/*2014.2.0.0-x86_64*

This enables both having multiple architectures installed of the same HP,
and should we ever decide, multiple HPs using the same compiler. To make
this all work, there now needs to be some way to relate a given HP version
with the GHC version it needs. I did this by adding a file, ghc-version,
that names it.

The last remaining task is to make the uninstall-hs program handle this...
but here's the rub, the job of that tool gets much much more compilcated -
and I'm a feared for trying to even code the logic, since testing it will
be excruciating ("install... install... install... unistall.. check...
install...uninstall.. check....").

SO - opinions, please: Is this worth it? Will we ever release a multiple
HPs with the GHC? Is the uninstall-hs program over wraught as it is and
just shouldn't try so hard? Should we just leave it the same?

- Mark