A modest proposal (re the Platform)

Carter Schonwald carter.schonwald at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 16:05:05 GMT 2014

It is open.
There aren't any gate keepers. But if you aren't willing to help bear the
support load of a release that isn't ready and will be broken on several
platforms, ... Well :)

Seriously, a core goal of haskell platform is it should "just work" on a
system with a working C compiler. Because that now means "clang or gcc
might be the default" rather than "always gcc".... 7.6 will not end well as
something we continue to support in that situation, the work arounds are a
bit too complex for new users.

If you want to speed up the release cycle, go test/break/report bugs with
GHC Head!

to repeat: the best way to speed up the HP release cycle right now is go
help test/break/use current GHC Head :)

-Carter

On Jan 24, 2014, at 4:21 AM, Jens Petersen <juhp at community.haskell.org>
wrote:

are you willing to undertake providing support for all the problems in
> current 7.6 on ALL platforms right now?

No :)

> Are you willing to test the builds on all platforms, and be the person to
> help everyone who's hitting issues?

You see, to me HP should be more of an open source project.
So it shouldn't come down to one person/gatekeeper.

I would like to see more frequent and active maintenance of HP.

doing an HP release now will push back the release timeline of an HP
> version with 7.8

Probably, but it doesn't have to. :)

>  I suspect the next HP will be using 7.8.2, because certain final steps
> of the windows fixes are slated for that release, though maybe things'll
> move up and get fixed in 7.8.1. I could be wrong mind you.

I see yes - so more delays likely.
Anyway let's see when 7.8.1 gets released... :)

I am just as keen to have a 7.8 HP soon as everyone else,
but it will soon be a year since the last HP release too...

Cheers, Jens