No subject

Mon May 13 21:54:11 BST 2013

on the current OS X, it's simply broken. What should be fixed upstream will
end up becoming (and in fact already is) a problem for others downstream.
This just exacerbates the current mess that we're in because I can promise
you that different users and different groups downstream will find and
suggest a variety different solutions. Not only is that's bad for people
that want things to "just work", it potentially introduces more headaches
for everyone involved since certain approaches may create new problems that
users will seek support for.

You mentioned earlier that you wanted to avoid a package-manager based
solution so as to remain neutral. I agree wholeheartedly with this stance
but I also think being neutral entails that everything works for the
largest group of people possible. Many of those people will either try to
compile the HP themselves (on 10.9, without GCC easily accessible), or
install through one of the package managers.

Perhaps they are not the majority, but they are important nonetheless, and
they include many developers from other communities who are used to
development on OS X but not Haskell development specifically.

I think that's about all I can say on this. I'm not involved in the
official releases or maintenance of the HP stuff so it's not my call. I'm
happy to help in trying to find a solution that works for everyone. I'm
just not convinced the current proposal does that.

Cheers,
Darin

--047d7b6dbdca5fe2a504e9c750c4

urrent and future OS X releases of the HP should be buildable (including de=
pendencies) on the current OS X release</div>
re-build GHC and I understand that GHC, the HP, etc. need to work on multip=
le versions of OS X. But I also think it&#39;s possible to achieve portabil=
ity in a cleaner fashion than relying on the proposed hacks.</div>
release. All I know is that there&#39;s been some discussion about it in pr=
ivate emails and some discussion on the #ghc IRC channel. As far as I under=
stood, the primary impetus for such a release would be to provide a proper =
solution to GHC on 10.9.</div>
he HP is not buildable on the current OS X, it&#39;s simply broken. What sh=
ould be fixed upstream will end up becoming (and in fact already is) a prob=
lem for others downstream. This just exacerbates the current mess that we&#=
39;re in because I can promise you that different users and different group=
s downstream will find and suggest a variety different solutions. Not only =
is that&#39;s bad for people that want things to &quot;just work&quot;, it =
potentially introduces more headaches for everyone involved since certain a=
pproaches may create new problems that users will seek support for.</div>
e-manager based solution so as to remain neutral. I agree wholeheartedly wi=
th this stance but I also think being neutral entails that everything works=
 for the largest group of people possible. Many of those people will either=
 try to compile the HP themselves (on 10.9, without GCC easily accessible),=
 or install through one of the package managers.</div>
nt nonetheless, and they include many developers from other communities who=
 are used to development on OS X but not Haskell development specifically.<=
/div>
 not involved in the official releases or maintenance of the HP stuff so it=
&#39;s not my call. I&#39;m happy to help in trying to find a solution that=
 works for everyone. I&#39;m just not convinced the current proposal does t=
hat.</div>

--047d7b6dbdca5fe2a504e9c750c4--