Proposal: Add-on packs

Mark Lentczner mark.lentczner at gmail.com
Thu May 30 01:51:18 BST 2013

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 4:59 PM, Jason Dagit <dagitj at gmail.com> wrote:

> I expect it would be different in the way that anything installed as
>  part of the platform is different: It's a blessed version and part of
> a coherent set of packages.

But as an add-on pack, why not just publish WxHaskell-Stable with a set of
.cabal constraints that tie it to a particular HP version? There really
isn't anything "blessed" by being in the HP - it is just a stable set that
the individual package maintainers pick. No reason the
WxHaskell maintainers can't do the same.

> > Why not just package WxHaskell in a way that cabal install WxHaskell is
> > sufficient?
>
> This does not seem to be an attainable goal for packages that have
> substantial non-haskell dependencies. For example, despite lots of
> effort Gtk2hs is still quite cumbersome to install.

I've heard this argument before for inclusion of something in the Platform
- and I don't understand it. The platform has no secret sauce for making
things installable. If the Gtk2hs team can't find a way to make installing
Gtk2hs easy, the Platform team certainly isn't going to be able to figure
it out!