Haskell Platform proposal: Add the vector package

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 16:49:52 BST 2012

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 4:58 AM, Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25/09/2012 15:29, Johan Tibell wrote:
>>   * Using SafeHaskell in the platform in general, and in vector in
>> particular. This would be a large commitment for the platform, as we'd
>> implicitly be telling our users that we've deemed the packages in the
>> platform trustworthy. This is not something we should do without
>> committing to making sure they are, which is something we are not
>> willing to do just yet (as it requires a large amount of work, now and
>> later). The vector package will be added without the .Safe modules
>> (which no one wants).
>

> With my "Safe Haskell pedantry" hat on, and at the risk of reviving that
> long thread, I would just like to point out that this is not quite right.
> You would not be guaranteeing anything about Trustworthy modules: the point
> of Trustworthy is to tell the user which modules they need to trust in order
> to get the Safe Haskell guarantees.  The user gets to choose whether to
> actually trust the modules or not.

My point was that, as a practical matter, users will trust whatever
GHC HQ and the platform maintainers trust. These two groups are made
of Haskell experts so if they mark something as trustworthy, people
will trust those packages.

> Note that GHC already comes with a lot of libraries that are marked
> Trustworthy, but we don't consider ourselves to have made any absolute
> guarantees about anything.

I guess users will have to at least trust base to run any Haskell code, right?

-- Johan