Website feedback

Ben Gamari bgamari.foss at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 15:15:11 BST 2012

Recently I pointed a friend towards the Haskell Platform's Linux
download page. While they are a very capable computer user, they are a
new Linux user and were a bit confused by the fact that clicking on the
"Ubuntu" logo would simply bring them to Ubuntu's package page. It would
be nice if, below the existing header ("Community-supported
versions...") there would be some text indicating that the distributions
themselves package the Haskell Platform and therefore it should be
installed via the native package manager. I think just a few sentences
could preempt a great deal of confusion. I've opened a Pull Request[1]
offering one suggestion, although I'm sure someone could wordsmith it a
bit better than I can.

Perhaps another nice addition would be a text area which would display
the correct package manager command (e.g. sudo apt-get install
haskell-platform) when the user rolls over one of the icons. Given there
are only nine distributions listed, it should take pretty minimal effort
to do this. Unfortunately, this is complicated by the fact that the code
is currently in Markdown. Do people think this is a good enough idea to
justify cluttering up the Markdown with a few more HTML tags? If so I'd
be happy to give this a shot.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://github.com/haskell/haskell-platform/pull/7