Early trial builds of 2012.2.0.0

Chris Dornan chris at chrisdornan.com
Sun May 20 16:07:38 BST 2012

Mark I see where you are coming from but I don’t see the strong connection between the process of creating the tarball and carrying out the installation -- they may sometimes happen at the same time but not in general. I would have expected the former to work in as wide a range of environments as is practicable while the latter (of course) must be highly controlled (hence the checks that the core packages are present, etc.).

I would also like to offer some input into the proposed reworking of the platform packaging. I am guessing that we all have quite mature build systems for carrying out the packaging of the platform.  For me the key interface is the tarball that gets inserted into the build process -- what we distribute through the HP website.

If that is the general case then keeping the way the tarball works stable should be a principal aim of any reworking of the generic platform packaging. It seems to me to work quite well and not be in need of much change.

***

That said, I do think a DESTDIR parameter for the build process would be useful. I have worked out a scheme for doing this by just modifying scripts/install.sh in a backwards compatible way (i.e., no DESTDIR parameter and the script behaves just as it does now). I will raise a ticket on the revived issue tracker…

Chris