Early trial builds of 2012.2.0.0

Andres Löh andres.loeh at googlemail.com
Thu May 17 08:32:23 BST 2012

Hi.

>> The problem is that ' cabal install --dry-run --reinstall' has become too
>> loquacious for
>> our convenience and is annotating the output with extra context.
>>
> Are you sure of this? My 0.14.0 cabal seems to only output more info per
> line if I include -v -- otherwise the output seems exactly as before. Are
> you perhaps adding that -v via your cabal config file? In any event, the
> change you suggest should be just "better armor".
>
> However, I suspect the whole Build.hs is about to go away soon - it
> currently provides very little benefit and complicates the prepare.hs script
> for no good reason. Either I'm going to combine prepare.sh into Build.hs...
> or Build.hs in prepare.sh.

I think the change is correct and required in general.
cabal-install-0.14.0 warns if there are reverse dependencies of
reinstalled packages, because these might be broken after the
installation process. If the set of potentially broken packages is
non-empty, it implicitly adds -v, because without it, the user won't
be able to see which packages are reinstalled. I'm sorry that this
causes problems for you.

Cheers,
  Andres