failure of GHC 7.0.4 on OS X

Mark Lentczner mark at glyphic.com
Wed Oct 5 02:33:06 BST 2011

> I don't know if just
>
>    -mmacosx-version-min=10.5
>
> would (a) produce a GHC that works on 10.5, and (b) work on recent Macs
> too. Unfortunately, I can't test (a). Also, even if it does work now, I
> wouldn't be surprised if it broke in the near future.

Yes, it should. I was planning on testing that tonight. If you let me know
where that line goes, it would keep me from having to go spelunking to find
where to put it.

I would be surprised if it broke in the near/mid future. That option tells
the linker which features it is allowed to use. For the most part, future
SDKs only include more functionality. If you stick to the functionality only
available on 10.x, then you can compile against 10.(x+i) but link with
verion-min=10.x, and you should be good to go. The only downside of not
compiling against the older 10.x SDK is that you might accidentally code
calls to functions no available on older machines. Since the GHC source
sticks close to POSIX, and doesn't really use Mac OS X APIs, I think we're
pretty safe.

- Mark