failure of GHC 7.0.4 on OS X

Mark Lentczner mark at glyphic.com
Tue Oct 4 06:50:53 BST 2011

Here's where I am:

Today I managed to build a 32-bit version HP 2011.3.0.0 (based on GHC 7.0.4
from GHC central). This installs and runs on 10.6 and 10.7 (with some tweaks
applied to the ghc script). It will not run on 10.5 because the executables
in the GHC distro (ghc, cabal, etc...) were not built compatible with
10.5[1].

I'm pretty sure I will be able to build a 64-bit version as well, subject to
the same caveats. I have some scripting magic to take care of things I had
to do by hand, and I want to put the prior-version uninstaller in this
release. But then I'm good to go.

So - I suggest we proceed, and abandon 10.5 for this release. In the future,
we should try get the GHC build to work as far back as 10.5 for 32-bit
builds.

Also - I have some patches to the haskell-platform repo -- changing the
.cabal file isn't quite enough, the versions appear a few other places as
well. I can send Duncan a patch file, or you can add me to the proper group
on code.haskell.org (I'm MtnViewMark there) so I can push over ssh.

 - Mark

[1] The executables die with
    dyld: unknown required load command 0x80000022
A little bit of googling yields that this is indicative of being compiled
with in an environment where the default SDK and min version were 10.6. To
change requires linking with:
    -mmacosx-version-min=10.5
(and possibly compiling against the 10.5 SDK, though that shouldn't be
needed since the GHC build should use nothing from the 10.6 SDK that isn't
in the 10.5 SDK.)