State of the Mac Installer

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 09:30:50 GMT 2011

Hi Mark,

Thanks very much for your work on this.  My $.02 below.

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 5:15 AM, Mark Lentczner <mark.lentczner at gmail.com>wrote:

> 3) The default cabal layout is inconsistent with how the HP installed
> packages are laid out. This isn't detrimental, just not pretty. My
> solution is that I 'wrap' the installed cabal command with a shell
> script that looks to see if the user has a .cabal/config file, and if
> not, writes a new one there that sets the layout to match the HP
> layout. Several sub-issues:
>
> 3.1) I renamed the real cabal "cabal.inst", and that causes error
> messages to say that. So - I'm going to have to reference the real
> cabal in another way so that it can remain named "cabal".
>
> 3.2) The new .cabal/config file uses symlink-bindir so that things the
> user installs will be somewhere on their PATH. The problem is that it
> turns out that a stock Mac OS X account doesn't have ~/bin (the
> logical place to point this) on the PATH. So I'll probably point this
> at /usr/local/bin (which is on the PATH). Still mulling this over...

If I understand you properly, I think this is the wrong solution.  Could you
instead have a script check if ~/bin is on the path, and if not, edit
~/.bash_profile to add it?

Also, at least in my current setup cabal installs executables to
~/.cabal/bin, which I prefer to just ~/bin.  YMMV.

John L.