HP comments from the State of Haskell survey

Chris Patti cpatti at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 21:49:04 EDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 5:33 PM, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:

> wmacgyver:
> > I have a stupid question.
> >
> > Does building ghc/haskell platform requires some special voodoo?
> >
> > Since the binary distro for haskell platform clearly works for OSX.
> >
> > But why is it that both macports and homebrew seems to
> > never work like clockwork?
> >
> > I use macports for erlang, python and heck, even sbcl.
> > and it's updated pretty timely and builds out of the box every time.
> >
> > I can understand with python is due to the large size
> > community, but surely erlang/sbcl on OSX can't be a
> > much larger community compared to haskell user?
>
> I'm not sure there is an active MacPorts maintainer -- while we do have
> an active Mac installer maintainer.
>
> Any volunteers?
>
> -- Don

FWIW the Homebrew formula is just fine.

It encapsulates the generic source tarball, which fails to compile under OSX
latest.

It's also actively maintained, and when I pursued the error with them, they
correctly indicated that the problem was up stream in the Haskell Platform
distro.

So, this is the root problem here.

-Chris

--