HP comments from the State of Haskell survey

Chris Patti cpatti at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 15:53:37 EDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:

> cpatti:
> >

> > On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 4:30 PM, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:
> >
> >     The following comments about the Haskell Platform appeared in the
> >     State of Haskell survey.
> >
> >        http://www.johantibell.com/files/state-of-haskell-2010.html
> >
> >        * I also think Haskell platform isn't getting enough push. People
> still
> >        think to try Haskell means install ghc. It doesn't help that both
> >        haskell platform and ghc in various linux distro as well as
> MacPorts
> >        gets lagged behind badly.

> >        * The Macport's portfile is outdated for the haskell platform, and
> it is
> >        still at 2009.2.0.2

> >        * Also, the multi-platform issue is a big stopper for me. I'm
> developing
> >        on Linux and Windows, maybe on Mac. Mac supports is simply broken,
> >        Haskell platform does not install. On Windows, many packages
> relying on
> >        C libraries simply do not work. On Linux, Ubuntu does not have
> official
> >        up to date packages
> >        programming life much simpler.
> >

> > It's worse than that.  The current Haskell-Platform doesn't build at
> *all* on
> > current MacOS version.  This has percolated downstream to packaging
> systems
> > like Homebrew, and leaves people like me who would love to try their hand
> at
> > Haskell either giving up, or grudgingly downloading the binary release
> (which
> > thankfully works).
> >
> > A bug has been filed on this, but it seems like noone has the time to fix
> it:
> > http://trac.haskell.org/haskell-platform/ticket/34
>
> Surely the binary installer works. Are you specifically talking about
> MacPorts?
>
> -- Don

The binary installer does work, however, the generic source tarball does
not.  This has caused the Homebrew formula to fail, and while I haven't
checked, wouldn't be surprised if it's the cause of the Macports breakage as
well.

-Chris

--
Christopher Patti - Geek At Large | GTalk: cpatti at gmail.com | AIM: