Testing generic unix tarball on Debian

Regis Saint-Paul regis.saint-paul at create-net.org
Thu Jul 30 10:29:56 EDT 2009

Hi,

I'd like to report on my experience testing the generic platform 2009.2.0.2
alpha on a freshly installed debian 5.02 with ghc6.10.4.

The short story is everything went very well and all packages were compiled
and installed successfully. I did not check further if they actually worked
though. Is there some test suite to run for more detailed report?

In case this is of interest, here are the debian packages I had to install
(in addition to the default debian setup) for successfully completing the
platform (and ghc) installation:

** Required for GHC 6.10.4 installation

binutils binutils-doc gcc glibc-doc libtool libtool-doc make manpages-dev
autoconf automake1.9 gdb g++ libgmp3-dev

** required for the platform installation

Zlib: zlib1g-dev
Editline: libeditline-dev libedit-dev
OpenGl: libglut-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libglu1-mesa-dev
        libncurses5-dev libx11-dev xlibmesa-gl-dev freeglut3-dev

I'm not sure this list of packages is the minimal one, but they are
sufficient for going through the compilation and install phases. Note that
opengl reports missing headers but the compilation nonetheless succeeded.
Other packages (e.g., network) report missing headers too but they concern
mainly the corresponding windows headers.

Please let me know if there is any way in which I could help further in
testing within my limited skills.

Best,
Regis